Pages

Monday, October 24, 2016

I Believe...

In his article, William Ayers shares a series of "I believe" statements which encompass his core beliefs about teaching, learning, and the purpose of schools.  Compose at least three of your own "I believe" statements that reflect your own core beliefs.  Describe how each of those beliefs will inform you as you design your own classroom learning environment for students.  

I believe that in order for teachers to teach students, teachers must also convey to those students their worth as human beings and learners.

I don't want to simply teach.  I really want to, through small and large group interactions, through conferences, and through core periods, connect with my students and let them know that I value them!

I believe that teachers must work to engage and teach all students, from the ones struggling with the material to the ones who have already mastered it.

This belief applies to differentiation.  I cannot, as a teacher, simply focus on the median kids, ignoring the low and high achiever.  I need to be actively seeking out ways to modify lessons and engage students on all levels.

believe that everyone learns in different and multiple ways.  I believe that it is up to the teacher to present, teach, and assess knowledge in a myriad of ways, in an attempt to reach each student.

I want to be a teacher who doesn't just stand at the front of the class and teach and then pass out a paper test. I want to make sure that I am using many methods to accomplish all of this, so that if a student struggles with one method, there is another method being used as well that they will click more with.

I believe that classrooms should be safe places, that students should be encouraged in their learning rather than shamed.

I want to create a classroom in which students don't "opt out" of answering questions, because they know that, even if they don't get the answer right, I will not shame them.  I want students to fill safe to answer questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment