Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Final Reflection for Fall Semester

I started out the semester with two goals.  My first goal was to begin developing lesson plans that engage all levels of student learning abilities.  My second goal was to grow more comfortable with stepping back from a lecturing style and allow more time for private reasoning and group work.  I think I have progressed in both goals, but I do think that I still can learn and change more within both areas.

Through my classes this semester, I have spent a good deal of time focusing on differentiation.  I created differentiated lesson plans in my practicum, special education, teaching young adolescents, and English language methods classes.  I was even able to teach a differentiated lesson plan, based off of my interview with the special educator and my personal learner profiles.  I have learned different methods and ways to learn about students and then reach students at different levels.

However, I am still working on applying differentiation in my own teaching.  I thought that I had implemented it well in my second lesson plan, but then, when I taught it, I realized that I hadn't considered all aspects of the lesson and where students will struggle.  I will continue to grow in this area.  I am excited (and a little nervous!) to work on differentiation throughout next semester, especially during my solo teaching weeks.

I have been able to both learn about and observe implementation of my second goal.  In both Ken's class and ELA method's class, we have been learning about gradual release methods for teaching.  My mentor teacher does a great job for this, allowing for lots of private reasoning and group work time.  

In my second observed lesson, I worked to incorporate gradual release.  I think that I actually did a good job at using this method.  I felt like I was able to apply what I have learned and observed so far.  I will continue to work on this goal this coming semester, hopefully honing in on this skill so that lesson planning using this format becomes second nature.

I think the biggest challenge I have had with these goals is just lack of classroom time.  I am excited about being  in the schools full time next semester and getting to solo teach for two weeks.  I hope that my solo teaching offers me opportunities to continue to work on these goals.

I would also like to continue to work on my classroom management.  This was not one of my semester goals, but has been an area that I have struggled with and grown in throughout my teaching career.  I feel like I am having to relearn classroom management while working in Swift house, because of how different the set up is compared to any other school I have been a part of in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment